Tuesday, July 1, 2014
Upcoming Hiring Conferences,
Orion International Announces Military Partnership with David Weekley Homes,
Meet Our Candidates,
National Distinguished Candidate Conference,
New Rules for Federal Contractors Hiring Veterans,
According to Our Clients,
Refer a Colleague to Hire Military Talent,
Connect with Orion
Join Orion as We Raise $100K+ for Veterans in 2014
Join Orion as we raise $100K for Veterans in 2014 through the - directly supporting Burned and Wounded Personnel and their Families, Children of Fallen Service Members, and Transitioning Combat Veterans.
The culminating event of the Veteran Low to High Challenge will occur in October, when our team of Orion Employees, Veterans, Partners, and Corporate Sponsors, will hike from the lowest point in Death Valley to the summit of Mount Whitney, a trek which will span 7 days and 130+ miles. It is our goal to gain national recognition for our Partner Organizations and raise $100K+ by undertaking and completing the Low to High Challenge.
- Make a donation to the Veteran Low to High Challenge! All donations are tax-deductible, and we appreciate each and every contribution. To make your donation even more impactful, Orion will double your donation by matching, dollar-for-dollar, the first $14,505 (the height of Mt. Whitney!) raised in Individual Donations. Donate now
- Get your company involved! Corporate Sponsorship is an opportunity for your organization to receive high-visibility recognition within the military community while directly supporting our partner charitable organizations. We have several levels of Corporate Sponsorship available, to allow your company to contribute in a meaningful way to the Veteran Low to High Challenge, regardless of budget. Learn more about Corporate Sponsorship
- Participate in a 5K in your area. We are holding a 5K Race in support of the Veteran Low to High Challenge in each of the cities in which we have an Orion office - Austin, TX; Cincinnati, OH; Raleigh, NC; Virginia Beach, VA; and San Diego, CA. All proceeds from these events will be donated to our partners. Learn more and register
Please contact us any questions and to learn more about contributing to the Veteran Low to High Challenge. We appreciate each and every donation, and thank you in advance for your support!
Veteran Talent Index Explores State of Veteran Employment
The recently released sixth edition of the from Monster Worldwide, Inc. and Military.com once again delves into the state of veteran employment and finds that although there is progress, there is also a gapbetween what veterans are seeking in civilian employers, and how many companies are branding themselves to these veterans. Established in fall 2011, the semi-annual report states that it provides “quantifiable metric of employment conditions for the transitioning service member.” According to the authors, the latest report from May shows progress in unemployment rates and steady levels of veteran career confidence and employer support.
Upcoming Hiring Conferences
Noncommissioned Officers and Enlisted Technicians Recruited for your Hiring Needs
An Orion Hiring Conference is your chance to interview the best military job seekers, selected specifically for your open positions. You will be presented with prescreened, qualified and suitably matched veterans that are interested in your available opportunities. Click on the dates below to learn more about our upcoming hiring conferences.
Norfolk, VA (Midwest Technician positions)
Baltimore, MD DCC
Chicago, IL (Technician positions)
Chicago, IL DCC
Norfolk, VA (Midwest Technician positions)
San Diego, CA
San Diego, CA
Orion International Announces Military Partnership with David Weekley Homes
Orion International, the nation's only provider of best-in-class Military Talent Programs, announced that David Weekley Homes, the largest privately-held builder in America, has chosen Orion’s (MTP) to be its provider of military recruiting, training, employment brand marketing, and retention services.
Meet Our Candidates
The battle for talent in the workplace can be fierce. It doesn't have to be if you know where to look. Below is a preview of actual Orion International candidates and the valuable skills and experience they possess.
Experienced Operations Officer View Resume
Surface Warfare Officer; Naval Academy Graduate View Resume
Communications Planner / IT Manager; USNA Graduate View Resume
Former System Acquisition Officer with an MBA View Resume
Nuclear Electronics Technician View Resume
Facilities Maintenance Department Head View Resume
Maintenance Technician / Trainer / Operator, United States Navy | 2008 - 2014 View Resume
Nuclear Machinist Mate with a Bachelor's Degree in Nuclear Engineering View Resume
National Distinguished Candidate Conference
Mark your calendar for our upcoming National Distinguished Candidate Conference:
Since 1991, our clients have told us that the most important factor in deciding to hire military through an agency is the Quality of Candidate. Our unique Distinguished Candidate Conferences are designed to recruit, assess, screen, and present the top military candidates for your hiring needs. In 2013, more than 170 client companies strategically hired Orion’s Military Officers through our Distinguished Candidate Conferences, with nearly 50% making multiple hires.
Orion’s Distinguished Candidates are carefully selected and represent the very top tier of Military Officers transitioning from Active Duty. They are seeking careers in growth roles including Leadership Development, Operations Management, Engineering, and Sales.
Our Junior Military Officer Candidates at these National Events:
Service Academy Graduates and graduates of the nation’s top universities.
Candidates with MBAs and other advanced degrees; and those with PMPs, PEs, and other professional certifications.
Candidates who have consistently ranked well above their peers in their professional military evaluations.
Willing to relocate and geographically flexible.
Distinguished Candidate Conference Highlights:
These events will feature 30 minute Client Presentations in which you can present to the candidates you’ll be interviewing in advance. We recommend a C-level or VP Presenter for client presentations.
Enjoy an additional opportunity for socializing with the candidates and other Hiring Managers, at our President’s Reception following the Keynote Address on Monday evening.
Pre-screened, assessed, qualified Officer Candidates suitably matched for your particular hiring needs.
A private and professional interview setting.
Personalized attention to ensure the best in customer service, including insight on the candidates and advice on the most effective hiring strategy.
In addition, Orion’s Executive Leadership Team will be available throughout these events to meet and discuss your company’s talent planning and how our dedicated on-boarding programs, assessment tools, and other enterprise-scale service offerings may be able to support your organization in 2014 and beyond.
What do our clients have to say about the caliber of candidates at an Orion Distinguished Candidate Conference?
"Our experience at Orion's Distinguished Candidate Conference was a great success. The candidates were of the highest caliber and extremely well matched for our Leadership Development Program. This event enabled us to hire 5 outstanding JMOs very efficiently, saving weeks of time. I look forward to seeing the impact these new leaders will have on BP." - Program Manager, BP
Our Distinguished Candidate Conferences enable you to develop a strong pipeline of future leaders and foster strategic organizational growth.
Learn more about our Distinguished Candidate Conferences and discover for yourself the impact a Military Officer can have on your organization.
New Rules for Federal Contractors Hiring Veterans
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs published new rules requiring federal contractors to adopt benchmarks for hiring certain groups of veterans in September 2013, which went into effect on March 24, 2014. These rules were updated in an effort to combat the jobless rate among certain veterans.
- Hiring benchmarks: The new regulations require that contractors establish annual hiring benchmarks for protected veterans. Contractors must use one of two methods to establish their benchmarks. Contractors may choose to establish a benchmark equal to the national percentage of veterans in the civilian labor force or establish their own benchmarks using certain data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) and Veterans’ Employment and Training Service/Employment and Training Administration (VETS/ETA) that is also published by OFCCP, as well other factors that reflect the contractor’s unique hiring circumstances.
- Data collection: The new regulations require that contractors document and update annually several quantitative comparisons for the number of veterans who apply for jobs and the number of veterans they hire. The data must be maintained for three years to be used to spot trends.
- Invitation to Self-Identify: The new regulations require that contractors invite applicants to self-identify as protected veterans at both the pre-offer and post-offer phases of the application process.
- Job Listings: The new regulations clarify that when listing their job openings, contractors must provide that information in a manner and format permitted by the appropriate State or local job service, so that it can access and use the information to make the job listings available to job seekers.
According to Our Clients
Refer a Colleague to Hire Military Talent
Is your company or that of a friend or colleague in need of military talent? For every referral you provide, you will be automatically entered into our monthly drawing for a $50 gift card. Even better, if your referral results in a placement, you will personally receive a $100 gift card as our way of saying thank you. As always, we will maintain your privacy and never share your information nor that of your referral.
Click here to refer a colleague to hire military talent now!
Connect with Orion
Did you know that there are several ways to connect with Orion and learn how veterans impact the civilian workforce?
• You can join our LinkedIn group for employers, Hire a Hero, Hire a Vet®. This group is a great way to show your support of veterans in the civilian workforce.
• Read our blog, Hire a Hero, Hire a Vet®. This blog covers everything from veterans in the news to general employer-employee relations. Check it out!
• You can follow Orion on Twitter (@hirevets) to receive updates about Orion, learn about upcoming hiring events, and find links to articles of interest.
• Orion is now on Google+! Follow us to keep up to date on all things Orion.
Join Orion’s Hire a Hero, Hire a Vet group on LinkedIn
Read Orion's Blog
Find us on TwitterFollow @hirevets
Follow us on Google+