Tuesday, September 1, 2015
In This Issue
Industry Update: Supply Chain Management, Logistics, and Transportation
In an article posted on Sept. 2, 2015, the Wall Street Journal reported that despite the recent economic crisis in China, the housing market continues to see growth and construction spending has increased to its highest level in seven years, likely fueling more domestic demand for imported goods. This is good news for veterans seeking civilian jobs in the supply chain management, logistics and transportation industries, as their military experience gives them a definitive edge in this competitive job market.
What Makes Veterans an Ideal Fit?
So, what makes veterans ideal candidates for careers in supply chain, logistics and transportation management? Here are just a few of the many transferrable skills and experiences veterans bring to this challenging and growing industry:
- They have experience moving people, fuel, food, medical supplies and other materiel over long distances in challenging conditions;
- They are mission-oriented and adept at overcoming obstacles to ensure success;
- They have the ability to constantly evaluate multiple variables in constantly changing conditions to determine needs;
- They are adept in building and leading diverse and multi-functional teams;
- They are proficient in using industry standard inventory and supply databases, software and related technology;
- They quickly adapt and adjust to changing priorities while staying on target;
- They respect and observe safety protocols and procedures.
Who is Hiring Veterans?
Many Fortune 500 companies, including the Whirlpool Corporation, Honda, Michelin, as well as Honeywell International and its subsidiaries, employ military veterans in positions such as Procurement, Supply Chain Planning Analyst, Integrated Supply Chain Supervisor, and Logistics Supervisor. These companies and others support their veteran employees through programs and initiatives within their organizations, and engage in community events and causes supporting veterans and their families. As a company founded by former military members, Orion International supports this engagement and strives to connect employers with the highest quality candidates available.
How Can Employers Connect to Military Talent?
Orion International offers many ways to connect employers to top military talent. Hiring events, such as Orion’s Regional and Distinguished Candidate Conferences offer employers opportunities to connect in person to candidates at an invitation-only event which is tailored to both employer and candidate needs.
Want to exceed the hiring standard for your organization by employing top military talent? Visit Orion’s Hire Military page today to learn about Orion’s Military Talent Programs™, recruiting services, temp to perm/contract services, and hiring events.
National Distinguished Candidate Conferences
Mark your calendar for our upcoming National Distinguished Candidate Conferences:
October 12-13, 2015 in San Diego, CA
October 26-27, 2015, in Chicago, IL
Since 1991, our clients have told us that the most important factor in deciding to hire military through an agency is the Quality of Candidate. Our unique Distinguished Candidate Conference is designed to recruit, assess, screen, and present the top military candidates for your hiring needs. In 2014, nearly 100 client companies strategically hired Orion’s Military Officers through our Distinguished Candidate Conferences, with over 40% making multiple hires.
Orion’s Distinguished Candidates are carefully selected and represent the very top tier of Military Officers transitioning from Active Duty. They are seeking careers in growth roles including Leadership Development, Operations Management, Engineering, and Sales.
Our Junior Military Officer Candidates at these National Events:
- Service Academy Graduates and graduates of the nation’s top universities.
- Candidates with MBAs and other advanced degrees; and those with PMPs, PEs, and other professional certifications.
- Candidates who have consistently ranked well above their peers in their professional military evaluations.
- Willing to relocate and geographically flexible.
Distinguished Candidate Conference Highlights:
- This event will feature 30 minute Client Presentations in which you can present to the candidates you’ll be interviewing in advance. We recommend a C-level or VP Presenter for client presentations.
- Enjoy an additional opportunity for socializing with the candidates and other Hiring Managers, at our President’s Reception following the Keynote Address on Monday evening.
- Pre-screened, assessed, qualified Officer Candidates suitably matched for your particular hiring needs.
- A private and professional interview setting.
- Personalized attention to ensure the best in customer service, including insight on the candidates and advice on the most effective hiring strategy.
In addition, Orion’s Executive Leadership Team will be available throughout the event to meet and discuss your company’s talent planning and how our dedicated on-boarding programs, assessment tools, and other enterprise-scale service offerings may be able to support your organization in 2015 and beyond.
What do our clients have to say about the caliber of candidates at an Orion Distinguished Candidate Conference?
"Our experience at Orion's Distinguished Candidate Conference was a great success. The candidates were of the highest caliber and extremely well matched for our Leadership Development Program. This event enabled us to hire 5 outstanding JMOs very efficiently, saving weeks of time. I look forward to seeing the impact these new leaders will have on BP." - Program Manager, BP
The Distinguished Candidate Conference enables you to develop a strong pipeline of future leaders and foster strategic organizational growth.
Learn more about our Distinguished Candidate Conferences and discover for yourself the impact a Military Officer can have on your organization.
Upcoming Hiring Conferences
Orion Military Hiring Conferences – Interview Junior Military Officers,
Noncommissioned Officers and Enlisted Technicians Recruited for your Hiring Needs
An Orion Hiring Conference is your chance to interview the best military job seekers, selected specifically for your open positions. You will be presented with prescreened, qualified and suitably matched veterans that are interested in your available opportunities. Click on the dates below to learn more about our upcoming hiring conferences.
According to Our Clients
“The Orion hiring conferences are the quickest and most efficient way I have to identify high quality candidates. I like that the candidates are pre-screened for the basic qualifications, so I'm not wasting time sifting through unqualified or marginally qualified candidates like I do with resumes from a public posting." - Stephen Ibanez, Field Service Manager, FuellCell Energy
Meet Our Candidates
The battle for talent in the workplace can be fierce. It doesn't have to be if you know where to look. Below is a preview of actual Orion International candidates and the valuable skills and experience they possess.
Naval Officer with a Master’s in Engineering Management View Resume
Logistics Officer; USNA Graduate View Resume
Engineering Officer with Lean Six Sigma Experience View Resume
Maintenance Technician View Resume
Electronics Technician View Resume
Navy Mechanic View Resume
Refer a Colleague to Hire Military Talent
Is your company or that of a friend or colleague in need of military talent? For every referral you provide, you will be automatically entered into our monthly drawing for a $50 gift card. Even better, if your referral results in a hire, you will personally receive a $100 gift card as our way of saying thank you. As always, we will maintain your privacy and never share your information nor that of your referral.
Connect with Orion
Did you know that there are several ways to connect with Orion and learn how veterans impact the civilian workforce?