Saturday, October 1, 2016
In This Issue
Veteran Spotlight: Elizabeth Woolfolk
Orion is pleased to have recently caught up with Orion alumna Elizabeth Woolfolk, a former Army Musician who attended OCS and then served as an Ordnance Officer and Force Management Officer. Elizabeth shares her transition story and what she's learned in the past year-and-a-half in her civilian position as a Senior Buyer with Honda.
"I served in the United States Army from 1999-2015. My military experience gave me a level of discipline and strength to succeed in the civilian workforce. I think the 'tough skin' part paid off. I've learned to get through tough situations. For example, my 15-month deployment to Iraq. That was a very long, very difficult deployment. I learned that I can handle some extremely physically, mentally, and emotionally tough situations and still come out on the other side a stronger person," says Elizabeth.
As Elizabeth says, military skills don't always have to have a direct correlation to a civilian career to translate to success. "I'm in the automotive industry now. Though I didn't necessarily work in automotive while in the military, the other skills I gained through the band field experience, Logistics, and Force Management helped a lot. I learned and honed my organizational skills, business acumen, and negotiation/communication skills."
Elizabeth realized throughout her career that she enjoyed "putting puzzle pieces" together, and interest is now a big part of her civilian job. "For my position, I manage different logistics and payment systems, but an even bigger part of my job is strategy," explains Elizabeth, "I analyze and recommend future activity based on current cost and supplier base strategy, as well as evaluate ways to consistently keep costs of our products down while still maintaining high quality."
Since she took this position with Honda North America through Orion, Elizabeth has gained a lot of technical knowledge and improved her business and strategy skills. She's been recognized by her management as a strategic thinker, a hard worker, and very professional. She has also been identified as a future leader in the company.
>Thanks to Elizabeth for sharing her story and success with us. We know she'll continue to serve as a great example of a veteran in the civilian workplace.
10 Perks of Creating a Military Talent Program with Orion International
There is no one-size-fits-all solution for hiring veterans, so it's important to choose a military recruiting firm with a model that allows for flexible, customized solutions. This is where Orion International's Military Talent Programs (MTPs) come in. Clients like Siemens, Honda, and Phillips 66 have built Military Talent Programs through Orion, and enjoy these perks:
- Orion's Brand Marketing positions each client as an Employer of Choice for Military Talent.
- Our team works closely with our clients to create Veteran friendly websites that cater to their audience by including things like Veteran Spotlights, highlighting specific veteran hiring initiatives, etc. (Click here to learn more about veteran-friendly careers websites.)
- Our clients enjoy unparalleled access to transitioning service members due to our unmatched reach and network within the military, providing an impact far beyond traditional recruiting efforts.
- Our MTP clients also receive the undivided attention of a dedicated account team who works closely with hiring managers.
- An Orion MTP is full-cycle and addresses all phases of the process, from sourcing, candidate attraction and recruiting, through on-boarding, integration, and retention.
- We offer flexible methods of interview, including company exclusive on-site hiring events, regional and national hiring conferences, and direct submission of qualified candidates - when, where, and how you need them.
- Our SHRM and HRCI Accredited training program is designed to educate TA, HR, Hiring Managers and other Key Stakeholders on all phases of Military Hiring, to provide your organization with the knowledge and resources to ensure program success.
- Our metrics-driven process ensures continuous quality and ongoing improvement through our programs, backed by measurable results.
- Orion additionally actively promotes MTP clients via our extensive social media presence, as well as through newsletters and email campaigns.
- Clients enjoy decreased cost-per-hire and increased customer service when compared to traditional fee-per-hire recruiting services.
Interested in hiring top talent with the help of the experienced recruiting team at Orion? Click here to learn more about how an Orion Military Talent Program could help you.
National Distinguished Candidate Conferences
Mark your calendar for our upcoming National Distinguished Candidate Conferences:
October 17-18, 2016 in San Diego, CA
October 24-25, 2016 in Atlanta, GA
Since 1991, our clients have told us that the most important factor in deciding to hire military through an agency is the Quality of Candidate. Our unique Distinguished Candidate Conferences are designed to recruit, assess, screen, and present the top military candidates for your hiring needs. In 2015, more than 100 client companies strategically hired Orion's Military Officers through our Distinguished Candidate Conferences, with nearly 50% making multiple hires.
Orion's Distinguished Candidate Conferences enable you to develop a strong pipeline of future leaders and foster strategic organizational growth.
Our Distinguished Candidates are carefully selected and represent the very top tier of Military Officers transitioning from Active Duty. They are seeking careers in growth roles including Leadership Development, Operations Management, Engineering, and Sales.
Our Junior Military Officer Candidates at these National Events:
- Service Academy Graduates and graduates of the nation's top universities.
- Candidates with MBAs and other advanced degrees; and those with PMPs, PEs, and other professional certifications.
- Candidates who have consistently ranked well above their peers in their professional military evaluations.
- Willing to relocate and geographically flexible.
Distinguished Candidate Conference Highlights:
- This event will feature 30 minute Client Presentations in which you can present to the candidates you'll be interviewing in advance. We recommend a C-level or VP Presenter for client presentations.
- Enjoy an additional opportunity for socializing with the candidates and other Hiring Managers, at our President's Reception following the Keynote Address on Monday evening.
- Pre-screened, assessed, qualified Officer Candidates suitably matched for your particular hiring needs.
- A private and professional interview setting.
- Personalized attention to ensure the best in customer service, including insight on the candidates and advice on the most effective hiring strategy.
In addition, Orion's Executive Leadership Team will be available throughout the event to meet and discuss your company's talent planning and how our dedicated on-boarding programs, assessment tools, and other enterprise-scale service offerings may be able to support your organization in 2015 and beyond.
What do our clients have to say about the caliber of candidates at an Orion Distinguished Candidate Conference?
"Our experience at Orion's Distinguished Candidate Conference was a great success. The candidates were of the highest caliber and extremely well matched for our Leadership Development Program. This event enabled us to hire 5 outstanding JMOs very efficiently, saving weeks of time. I look forward to seeing the impact these new leaders will have on BP." - Program Manager, BP
The Distinguished Candidate Conference enables you to develop a strong pipeline of future leaders and foster strategic organizational growth.
Learn more about our Distinguished Candidate Conferences and discover for yourself the impact a Military Officer can have on your organization.
Upcoming Hiring Conferences
Orion Military Hiring Conferences - Interview Junior Military Officers, Noncommissioned Officers and Enlisted Technicians Recruited for your Hiring Needs
An Orion Hiring Conference is your chance to interview the best military job seekers, selected specifically for your open positions. You will be presented with prescreened, qualified and suitably matched veterans that are interested in your available opportunities. Click on the dates below to learn more about our upcoming hiring conferences.
Columbia, SC October 4, 2016 (Technician Hiring Conference)
Atlanta, GA October 24, 2016
Atlanta, GA October 24-25, 2016 (Distinguished Candidate Conference)
Washington, DC October 10, 2016
Chicago, IL October 17, 2016
San Diego, CA October 17, 2016
San Diego, CA October 17-18, 2016 (Distinguished Candidate Conference)
Dallas, TX October 24, 2016
According to Our Clients
"I thought the Distinguished Candidate Conference was well organized. My Account Executive did a great job of guiding me through the process and making sure it was a success for our company. I interviewed ten candidates, and all were qualified. Thanks." - Joe Crandall, Partner, Greencastle Consulting
Meet Our Candidates
The battle for talent in the workplace can be fierce. It doesn't have to be if you know where to look. Below is a preview of actual Orion International candidates and the valuable skills and experience they possess.
Army Human Resource Officer Pursing a Master's Degree View Resume
Navy Nuclear Electronics Technician with a Nuclear Engineering Technology Degree View Resume
Merchant Marine Academy Graduate View Resume
Navy Mechanic with a Bachelor's Degree View Resume
Army Officer with a Master's in Engineering Management View Resume
Navy Nuclear Electrician View Resume
Refer a Colleague to Hire Military Talent
Is your company or that of a friend or colleague in need of military talent? For every referral you provide, you will be automatically entered into our monthly drawing for a $50 gift card. Even better, if your referral results in a hire, you will personally receive a $100 gift card as our way of saying thank you. As always, we will maintain your privacy and never share your information nor that of your referral.
Connect with Orion
Did you know that there are several ways to connect with Orion and learn how veterans impact the civilian workforce?