Our Transition Program is designed to provide you with a list of items that you should complete prior to beginning interviews, to ensure maximum success in your career search. You will ideally begin working through this list well in advance of your transition.
However, we realize you may join us much later, or operational commitments may keep you from following this timeline exactly, and that is completely fine. Just pick up with the suggested activity for the month that reflects where you are in relation to your transition, and try to work back through the other months as you are able.
You'll want to save this checklist on your computer, or print a copy. You will use it throughout the program to keep track of your progress.
13 Months Prior to Your Transition
- Visit Orion's Transition Corner to learn about the transition process from the perspective of fellow veterans who share their experiences with all aspects of the process from finance, to logistics, to challenges faced when starting a civilian career.
- Download and read Military Transition Guide - Beginning Your Transition.
12 Months Prior to Your Transition
- Visit Orion's Job Seeker Success page. Search our database on branch, pay grade, location, industry, company or even job title, to learn about the specific experiences of hundreds of Orion alumni enjoying success in the civilian workforce.
11 Months Prior to Your Transition
- Attend our Career Transition Webinar which will cover all the basics of planning your transition - what you can do to make yourself most marketable, current market conditions, careers you may consider, working with a recruiter, and much more.
10 Months Prior to Your Transition
- Check out our list of suggested books for Professional Reading, and commit to reading at least one book on sales and one other book, prior to beginning interviews.
9 Months Prior to Your Transition
- View our Resume Writing Webinar, which covers all of the basics of resume writing - why a resume is so important, what you should and shouldn't include, how to write a resume that is easily understood by a civilian hiring manager, and much more.
- Download and read Military Transition Guide - Resume Preparation.
8 Months Prior to Your Transition
- Attend our Interview Preparation Webinar, which will cover all the basics of Interview Preparation - how and what you should prepare, do's and don'ts during any interview, practical assignments to help guide you, and much more.
7 Months Prior to Your Transition
- Download and read Military Transition Guide - Introduction to Interviewing & Detailed Interview Preparation. After reading, work through the sample questions to apply what you have learned.
6 Months Prior to Your Transition
- Attend our Sales Overview and Preparation Webinar which will provide you with an understanding of why sales can be a great starting point in the private sector, help you determine if sales is a good option for you, and give great pointers to winning a sales interview.
- Download and read Military Officer Career Preparation: Management and Sales. Prepare answers for the sample questions and begin assembling your 'brag book' if you will be interviewing for sales positions.
5 Months Prior to Your Transition
- Download and read Military Transition Guide - Researching Your Background. After reading, develop your interview stories and examples utilizing the STAR format to clearly demonstrate your most marketable skills and experiences.
4 Months Prior to Your Transition
- Download and read Military Transition Guide - The Final Stages of the Hiring Process.
- Congratulations, you have completed Orion's Military Officer Transition Program! Please email your completed Transition Checklist to your Recruiter.
Continue to the next topic: Important Documents